– Augmented Reality Audio Tour –
A portrait of Greensboro’s Hamburger Square told through the stories of it’s citizens exploring the past, present, and future of the city’s historic crossroads.
On Hamburger Square is an audio documentary exploring the history and character of Hamburger Square, Greensboro, NC’s first town square.
Augmented reality links community audio interviews to objects in the square such as signs, buildings and monuments. Participants explore the square using a map and a mobile device. When they find and frame the objects with their screen, a related audio montage plays. In this way, the project mixes scavenger hunt play and documentary inquiry, to invite the audience to explore the area while thinking about the history and communities that intersect there.
Please visit the project website to view an interactive map with audio clips.
“In her app- and web-based audio tour, On Hamburger Square,
New York-based artist Samara Smith made it her mission to understand
the ins and outs of this city space, and created a multi-layered
experience based on extensive interviews.”
Hidden Histories of Greensboro,
Fabric of Freedom, National Folk Festival
On Hamburger Square is part of Elsewhere Museum’s South Elm Projects. Funded by ArtPlace America, South Elm Projects brings 15 national artists and collectives together with neighbors to create public artworks and programming in alleyways and greenspaces in the South Elm neighborhood of downtown Greensboro, North Carolina. The projects aim to further civic engagement, public commons and urban wilds in advance of and with development.
- Elsewhere Museum First Friday, Greensboro, NC, August 2015
- Fabric of Freedom, Greensboro, NC, September 2016
- Hamburger Square, Greensboro, NC, August 215 – present
- Artist Talk, Fabric of Freedom, Elsewhere Museum, Greensboro, NC, September 2016.
- iDocs: Exploring Interactive Documentary Storytelling Machines for Thinking: Immersion & Horizons, Panel: Being (T)here: Experiencing Place and Presence in Augmented and Virtual Reality Documentary Projects , Watershed, Bristol, UK, March 2016
- Visible Evidence XXII, Panel: Site on Screen: Emerging Technology and SiteSpecific Documentary Practice, University of Toronto, York and Ryerson Universities, Toronto, CA, August 2016
- Artist Talk, South Elm Projects, Elsewhere Museum, Greensboro, NC, August 2015.